Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sofia's birth


I just wanted to update everyone on everything with our new baby girl, Sofia. It has been a rough couple of days so far. Carissa gave birth late Saturday night (10/9/10) at 11:03 pm and Sofia measured at 7 lbs, 10.5 oz. and was 20" long. Everything was great that night, but we were exhausted. The next day, Sofia never passed her meconium (the baby's first stool that is black and tarry). We had to have Sofia transferred to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Kaiser Downey where they have specialized doctors there for babies. After monitoring the baby and extensive tests, we found out that the baby need major surgery so that she can pass the meconium. There was a blockage in her intestines that prevented things to move down there which is called Meconium Ileus. The surgery was successful where the surgeon had to cut her small intestine and allow it to protrude outside of her lower belly. She has to wear this small bag that covers the protruding intestine that catches the rest of the meconium and her poop for about 2 months. After about 2 months, the doctor needs to then do surgery to stitch the intestine back together, and hopefully her intestines will be functional and be able to pass her stools normally.

We had to stay overnight again at the hospital in Downey. Carissa is totally fine, but a little sore still which is normal. Sofia is feeling a little better now, but the doctor said that they have to keep her for another 2 weeks or so until she fully recovers and can breastfeed again. So it has been pretty challenging for Carissa and I, but we make daily trips to the hospital to see Sofia and how she is doing. Today I got to hold her skin-to-skin for the first time. It was an amazing experience and I can't wait for her to be home with us.

Please inform any family or friends and let them know, so I don't have to repeat all of this to everyone. So far Sofia is progressing, but I will try to keep you updated with her recovery. Please keep her in your prayers.




6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy she's finally here. I'm praying for a speedy recovery. Stay strong everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, another beautiful "Brown" baby added to the clan!!! I'm so glad all is well...she is adorable and sweet. Good job mom...and dad !
    Love, Chi
    Happy be-lated B-day Ramon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a cutie pie! Looking different with every photo you take. Can't wait to hold her in my arms. She'll be home with you guys in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sofia is GORGEOUS!Congratulations Ramon and Carissa!Sofia is in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Cyrus and Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww I want her to come home already! Lucky to have been able to see her for that quick second, but I definitely can't wait to hold her!!!!!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all thinking of you and your family. We will continue to pray for you and Sofia's speedy recovery. What a beautiful life you brought into the world. I am so proud!
    Kim and Jonathan

    ReplyDelete